As we ring in another new year so many of us will vow to live with a healthier lifestyle. Who says our teeth should be left out?! A lot of “healthy” snacks can be packed with sugars. Even snacks you think could be on the healthier side can be bad for your teeth, especially if your child is prone to cavities. We thought we would give you guys a rundown of some of the best, and worst, snacks;
- Cheese, milk, yogurt and other dairy products;
- Carrots, broccoli, cumbers and other fiber rich vegetables;
- Easily cleared fruits – think apples instead of bananas.
Not-So-Good Snacks (brush after these!);
- Pretzels/goldfish – These carbohydrate rich snacks tend to get stuck in the grooves of teeth;
- Fruit snacks/fruit leathers/dried fruit or other sticky sweets;
- Sweetened beverages – watch out for these! Sneaky sugar is in a lot of what we think would be “healthy” like some green juices or fruit juices.
With all of this being said it is important to remember that each child has an overall picture of dental health. Good snack choices coupled with brushing, flossing, and timely checkups with your pediatric dentist will give their teeth the best chance!